Tax Documentation Changes
Free IRS Tax Return Transcript
If you, your spouse (if married) or your parents (if dependent) need to document your taxable income to fulfill verification requirements, you can request an IRS Tax Return Transcript free of charge. Remember that we can no longer accept copies of the tax returns that you or your tax preparer completed. Only documents that come directly from the IRS are accepted to complete verification of tax return information. There are three ways to request a tax transcript from the IRS.
- Available on the IRS Web site atwww.irs.gov
- In the Online Services section of the homepage click “Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript”
- Click “Order a Transcript”
- Enter the tax filer’s Social Security Number, date of birth, street address, and zip or postal code. Use the address currently on file with the IRS. Generally this will be the address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Click “Continue”
- In the Type of Transcript field, select “Return Transcript” and in the Tax Year field, select “2011”
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return at the address included in their online request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the on-line request was successfully transmitted to the IRS.
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. Select “Option 2” to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter “2011”.
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in their telephone request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
Paper Request Form
- Download IRS Form 4506T-EZ at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf
- Complete lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address as filed with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on Line 4. Do not have transcripts sent to the Financial Aid Office.
- On line 6, enter “2011” to receive IRS tax information for the 2011 tax year that is required for the 2012-2013 FAFSA.
- The tax filers (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request. NOTE: Processing form 4506T-EZmeans verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.