The York College Public Safety Department strives to provide a safe and secure environment for students, faculty staff and visitors in the pursuit of their academic and professional goals on campus.
Through dedication, integrity, and respect, the Department of Public Safety professionally enforces college rules as well as state and local laws.
- Improve our relationship with the college community by engaging in outreach programs. Our staff will visit each department and handout emergency response information.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Maintain a dedicated and professional staff and provide professional development for staff.
- Integrate access card functions into the campus emergency and disaster preparedness plans.
- Eliminate unnecessary steps to obtain a valid York ID card (validation stickers), without compromising the safety of our college community.
- Assist the campus in achieving cost savings and efficiencies through the use of access cards.
The department also ensures compliance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) which requires annual publication of the Annual Security Report for the campus along with statistics for certain crimes for the previous three years. Please click on the links above to view these documents.
Through dedication, integrity, and respect, the Department of Public Safety professionally enforces college rules as well as state and local laws. The department works closely with the Associate Dean for Student Development relative to incidents and conditions affecting the student body.
The department consists of a director, a force of campus public safety officers, campus security assistants and augmented by a staff of contract security officers. Campus Peace Officers are designated as State of New York peace officers in accordance with Section 2.10, subsection 79 of the New York State Criminal Procedure Law. This status provides them with the same powers of arrest as other New York State Law Enforcement personnel.
The department also maintains a close relationship with the local police precinct and requests assistance when necessary. Information concerning crime and other pertinent data is shared on a regular basis.
Everyone at York College is encouraged to care not only for themselves but also for each other. Incoming freshmen receive a briefing on crime prevention and security procedures by members of the Department of Public Safety during orientations in order to promote security awareness.
The Public Safety office is located in the Academic Core Building, Room 1M02, and maintains 24- hour public safety coverage of the campus. The phone number is (718) 262-2222. Dial x2222 from any campus phone or utilized any red emergency phone located throughout the Academic Core for direct access.