Fall 2020 Theatre Courses
All classes welcome students from every discipline.
TA 107 - Introduction to Costume Design & Fashion
(3hr / 3cr) Emphasizing the design process from concept and research to final garments, students will conduct visual and trend research, explore various methods of rendering and revision, and present a fully developed term design project suitable for inclusion in a portfolio.
- Section M3 - 43248: Mo 6:00 - 8:50pm - Located in the PAC Costume Shop
TA 110 - Introduction to the Theatre
(3hr / 3cr) The application of analysis to concepts of lighting, costuming, scene design, and performance. At the end of the semester students participate in a short class production. [Flexible Core: Creative Expression]
- Section E - 48795: Mo/We 2:00 - 3:15pm
- Section M3 - 43249: Mo 6:00 - 8:50pm
- Section P (Writing Intensive) 43250: Tu/Th 2:00 - 3:15pm
- Section XC - 43251: Fr 2:00 - 4:50pm
- Section S3 (Writing Intensive) 43252: Sa 9:00 - 11:50am
TA 142 - Dance Techniques
- (May be repeated for a total of six credits)
(3 hr / 2 cr) This course is for dancers of all levels who wish to develop jazz dance techniques; depending upon student experience, advanced levels of jazz dance or alternate forms may be explored. Through physical exercises students will learn to execute specific dance movements and a variety of choreographed combinations for greater physical coordination, improved posture, and grace of movement; includes dance and stage vocabulary. (TA 141-144 may be repeated for a total of six credits.)
Students must enroll in BOTH sections:
- Section (Instruction) M16 - 43253: Mo 2:00 - 2:50pm - PAC Movement Rm. 106
- Section (Studio Lab) W2L6 - 43254: We 2:00 - 3:50pm - PAC Movement Rm. 106
TA 211 - Basic Acting
(4 hr / 3 cr) Fun and challenging. No one too inexperienced or too advanced to go back to the basics! Learn the craft of truthful acting with emphasis on scene analysis, spontaneity, and physical and vocal relaxation. Prepared scenes and improvisations.
- Section BC - 43256: MoWe 10:00 - 11:50am (Prof. Marion)
- Section CD - 43257: MoWe 12:00 - 1:50pm (Staff)
TA 215 - Studies in Theatre Practice
Be a part of a YC Theatre Production!
(5 hr / 3 cr) Acting (onstage), or (backstage) set construction, scenic painting, stage lighting, costuming, or other aspects of theatre related to the college production. This class is "tba" as times are arranged around your schedule. It is best if students have at least 3 hrs to offer for two weekday afternoons. Preq: Permission of instructor.
- Section (Backstage) tba 2 - 43259: Contact Prof. Tom Marion for permission to enroll.
- Section (Onstage) Must attend AUDITIONS or contact Prof. Tom Marion for information.
TA 310 - History of African-American Theatre & Performance
(3 hr / 3 cr) History of African-American theatre, performance, and its representation from slavery to the present day in its American historical and cultural context. Emphasis is given to the works of African-American theatrical artists who have transgressed, transcended, and even subverted established racial categories. Includes examination and analysis of prominent African-American drama. Preq: TA 210 or permission.
- Section Q - 43273: TuTh 3:30 - 4:45pm (Dr. Janice Capuana) Contact Prof. Tom Marion for permission to enroll.
TA 342 - Musical Theater Performance
- (May be repeated for a total of six credits!)
(4 hr / 3 cr) Designed for any student who is interested in developing their singing abilities with emphasis on action through singing. Students will explore and analyze text and music from various genres within the musical comedy rubric, and develop their ability in song interpretation, vocal production, audition technique, and sight-singing.
Students must enroll in BOTH sections:
- Section (Instruction) T27 - 43274: Tu 8:00PM - 9:50PM
- Section (Studio Lab) T2LB - 43275: Tu 6:00PM - 7:50PM