- From Battleground to Empire State: New York and the Legacy of the War of 1812
- Remembering the War of 1812 is part of the Talking About History Series, presented by King Manor Museum in conjunction with York College, the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, and the New York Council on the Arts. Alfred Ronzoni is the guest speaker.
- What History and Philosophy History
- When May 30, 2017 from 09:00 AM to 10:00 AM (America/New_York / UTC-400)
- Add event to calendar iCal
This lecture will explore the legacy of the War of 1812 in the creation of New York as the "Empire State." The War of 1812 has been referred to as America's "forgotten war." But it was, in fact, the pivotal event in establishing the young United States as an independent nation here to stay. Victories at the battles of Plattsburgh, Lake Erie, Baltimore and New Orleans gave Americans a new sense of confidence, pride, and patriotism.