The Island in the Wind
rutted - adj. of a track made by the passage of wheeled vehiecles
sluggishly – adv. slowly and listlessly
exhilarating – adj. cheerful, gladdening; exciting
inhabitant – n. a person/animal that lives in a specific region, or dwelling
in aggregate – taken all together
acidification – n. changing into an acid
terrestrial – adj. of this world; worldly; earthly
infestation – overrunning or inhabiting in large numbers
panoramic – adj. of an unlimited view in all directions; comprehensive view
fluctuate – v. to move back and forth or up and down
sequester – v. set apart; separate
egoistic – adj. self-centered, selfish; conceited
Fill in the blanks with the words chosen from the following.
terrestrial fluctuate panoramic in aggregate exhilarating sequester
- The climactic moment of commencement ceremonies is ________ to graduates and proud parents alike.
- Tourists never forget the impact of their _________ view of the Grand Canyon.
- The jury was __________ until a verdict was reached.
- In desperation, we called in an exterminator because of the ________ of ants in the house.
- His wealth _________ is staggering to the imagination.
- The _________ boss is demanding that everything be done her way.
- We have been able to explore the __________ regions much more thoroughly than the aquatic or celestial regions.
- Meteorologists watch the way the barometer _________ in order to predict the weather.
1. exhilarating .2. panoramic 3. sequester 4. infestation
5. in aggregate 6. egoistic 7. terrestrial. 8. fluctuate