The Climate for Change
imminent – adj. likely and certain to happen soon
redemption – n. the sale of stack that you own in a company; being freed from the power of evil
unequivocal – adj. clear, definite; without doubt
apocalyptic – adj. describing a time when very bad things will happen or the world will be destroyed
revive – v. to make alive, active, popular again
sustainable – adj. capable of continuing for a long time at the same level
embargo - v. to stop trade with another country by means of a government order
simultaneously – adv. at the same time
sophisticated – adj. complicated and advanced
balkanize – v. divide a region or body into smaller mutually hostile states or groups
antiquated – adj. too old, too old-fashioned to be useful
Filling the blanks with the words chosen in the following:
apocalyptic embargo unequivocal imminent revive
sustainable sophisticated antiquated
- Economy of these areas is beginning to ________.
- Emerging market countries still complain that IMF’s _________ governance structure does not reflect economic realitites.
- The fear of _________ defaults has led some politicians to call for a federal law allowing states to declare bankruptcy.
- Such a culture is ________ only in an organization that allows individuals to make mistakes and encourages them to recognize them.
- Why, with all the advances in technology and communications, would such a ________ device still need to be plugged to be recharged?
- For an apology to work, it needs to be _________ and the apologiser nneds to show that he understands what he did wrong.
- All of this _________ speculation abut takeovers and bankruptcies could be overblown.
- The _________ on rare earth exports to Japan was an even more blatant violation of international trade law.
1. revive 2. antiquated 3. imminent 4. sustainable
5. sophisticated 6. unequivocal 7. apocalyptic 8. embargo