School of Arts and Sciences
Welcome to the School or Arts and Sciences!
Through its academic departments, centers and unique programs, the School of Arts and Sciences offers undergraduate degrees in the arts, humanities, mathematics and sciences. We offer courses in the traditional liberal arts and sciences disciplines, and in selected pre- and professional programs.
Courses and programs in the School are designed to provide a challenging education with state-of-the-art classroom and laboratory work, together with vital internship and research experiences. Students are instructed and mentored by exceptional teacher-scholars to develop and broaden critical thinking, effective oral and written communication, problem-solving, ethical decision-making, and information technology skills that are the requisite foundation of their success in a changing global environment. The School is constantly introducing new courses, new programs and new technologies to prepare students for rewarding careers and personal accomplishment.
Students in the School of Arts and Sciences are privileged to study with outstanding faculty members, nationally and internationally recognized, who are dedicated teachers committed to innovative approaches to instruction, research and creative work. Students will benefit from a wide-ranging rigorous academic involvement that will prepare them for graduate school or the work place. Their experiences inside and outside of the classroom will enhance their appreciation and understanding of diverse cultures, ready them for meeting their career goals and help them in becoming educated, responsible citizens.
Additionally, the School of Arts and Sciences provides courses to prepare students for admission to professional programs such as dentistry, education, medicine, law, pharmaceutical science, occupational therapy and social work.
The specific aims of the School include:
- To sustain the College mission;
- To support the general education core requirements for students that includes emphasis on writing across the curriculum, quantitative reasoning and literacy, critical thinking and multicultural issues;
- To foster degree programs that serve a diverse student body and community;
- To encourage and to promote research and creative works in the arts and sciences especially in areas consistent with the College mission;
- To provide service to the community, the College and the University through program development and outreach activities.
For more information, explore our website and, of course, come for a visit.
Wishing you the best,
Dr. Donna Chirico
Professor and Dean
- Department of Behavioral Sciences — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Apr 20, 2017
- The mission of our department is to provide students with a strong academic foundation that will prepare them for the challenges of graduate study and careers. We strive to offer a flexible curriculum to meet the needs of our diverse student body and to foster personal and professional growth.
- Department of Biology — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Apr 20, 2017
- Welcome to the Department of Biology!
- Department of Chemistry — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Apr 20, 2017
- Chemistry (from Egyptian kēme (chem), meaning "earth") is the science concerned with the reactions, transformations and aggregations of matter, as well as accompanying energy and entropy changes during such transformations.
- Department of Earth and Physical Sciences — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Apr 20, 2017
- The Department of Earth and Physical Sciences meets a wide range of scientific interests. It consists of the Geology, Physics, and Environmental Health Science disciplines.
- Department of English — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Apr 20, 2017
- The English Department at York College abhors all expressions of hate and of prejudice, overt or tacit. We affirm our commitment to diversity and to inclusiveness, and will continue to work to create safer spaces for our students and for each other. We stand in solidarity with our students.
- Department of Foreign Languages, ESL and Humanities — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Apr 24, 2017
- Through the study of the language, literature and civilization of various cultures, the Department of Foreign Languages aims to enrich the education of all students and prepare them for various careers.
- Department of History and Philosophy — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Apr 19, 2017
- The Department of History and Philosophy offers majors in Anthropology, Black Studies, History, Interdisciplinary Studies, and Philosophy. It also houses the Cultural Diversity program.
- Department of Mathematics and Computer Science — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Apr 24, 2017
- The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science offers degree programs in Mathematics (B.A. and B.S.), Computer Science (B.S.), and Information Systems Management (B.S.).
- Department of Performing and Fine Arts — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Apr 24, 2017
- "Art is the signature of mankind" wrote G. K. Chesterton, and the faculty of the Department of Performing and Fine Arts believe that in their diversity these signatures give rise to the organic health of our many cultures.