Step 1: Begin by finding out about yourself: your interests, your abilities, your values.
If you have difficulty finding the right questions to ask, many tools have been designed to help you get started, both in print and online. Here are some resources you can use:
- the York Major Choices Interest Guide
- My Skills Survey: a questionnaire assessing your transferable skills—abilities that are foundations for a wide range of careers.
- Majors Quiz: 10-question quiz suggests careers;
- CareerLink Questionnaire: five-stage online inventory suggesting major domains
- Work Preference Inventory: Quick 24- question assessment of work style, gives module/analysis
- Career Services, AC–3E03 – Discover Program: You can visit the office or e-mail them at email@example.com for a token to access the Discover Program, a questionnaire assessment program you can complete at any computer with internet access.
Consider downloading information, taking notes and keeping a folder of relevant documents.