- Provost Lecture Series - Rebecca Rivera-Maestre
- Rebecca Rivera-Maestre, Assistant Professor. Social Sciences, School of Health and Behavioral Sciences “The more fights you have … the less fighting you have to do”: Interrogating girls’ violence
- What student featured Provost Lecture Series employee featured
- When Nov 16, 2011 from 04:00 PM to 06:00 PM (UTC / UTC0)
- Where AC-2D01 - Faculty Dining Room
- Contact Name Holger Henke
- Add event to calendar iCal
This lecture will
present salient findings
from a narrative study conducted
to address urban young women’s
experiences of relational aggression and
violence in their social and peer relationships with
other young women.
Drawing on data from in-depth individual interviews with African-American and Latina young women in New York City, this lecture will accentuate the socio-cultural context of girl fighting, and the relational paradox of fighting for friendship, justice, and respect among young women living in urban neighborhoods.