- Provost Lecture Series - Elizabeth Alter
- "Evolution in the Fast Lane: Genetic Studies of Fish Biodiversity in the Congo River"
- What student featured Provost Lecture Series employee featured
- When Sep 10, 2012 from 06:00 PM to 08:00 PM (UTC / UTC0)
- Where AC-3D01
- Contact Name Holger Henke
- Contact Phone 718-262-5338
- Add event to calendar iCal
The lower Congo River in Africa is home to rich freshwater biodiversity, including extraordinarily high numbers of native fish species. Many of these species are highly adapted to life in the rapids. What evolutionary mechanisms have led to the Congo’s notable fish diversity?
To answer this question, York researcher Dr. Elizabeth Alter has teamed up with ichthyologists from the American Museum of Natural History to study the genetic patterns of fish speciation in this unusual environment.