What is General Education?
To assure that students leave college with a rich understanding of the world and the skills needed for success in a competitive global environment, CUNY undergraduates must satisfy Pathways requirements that provide a broad-based General Education, which includes:
- Well-rounded knowledge of the humanities, sciences and social sciences
- Critical appreciation of diverse cultures and intellectual traditions
- Ways to relate the past to today’s complex world
- The ability to help society create a fresh and enlightened future
Pathways in General Education:
- Grounds students in the fundamentals of English, Mathematics and Science
- Strengthens critical reading and thinking skills
- Strengthens oral and written communication skills
- Encourages intellectual curiosity, with the goal of sparking a commitment to lifelong learning
Faculty from across the University have set rigorous academic standards and defined learning outcomes for each requirement and course.