Conducting Online Class Meetings and Office Hours
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is a web conferencing tool specifically for teaching and learning.
Conducting an Online Class Synchronously
When conducting a synchronous class meeting online, understand that you cannot see visual cues from students and have the same dynamics as you do in an in-person class. You will need to use strategies and tools to engage students. Bb Collaborate Ultra has many features to help you make learning in your synchronous class meetings active and engaging. Watch a short video below to get an overview of the main features.
Creating and Editing a Bb Collaborate Ultra Session
- On your course menu, click "Collaborate Ultra." If you do not see it, create one by clicking the "+" sign on the top left of the course menu > Tool Link. Type in a meaningful name. For Type, click the dropdown and select "Blackboard Collaborate Ultra," check the checkbox for "Available to users" and click Submit. It will be added at the bottom of your course menu. You can move it up by dragging the up-and-down arrow on the left. Then click on it.
- On the Blackboard Collaborate page, click "Create Session."
- Type in a meaningful session name.
- Complete the rest of the settings is quite straight forward. However, if you do need more detailed guidance, check out Bb's Session Settings page.
Using Different Features to Accomplish the Teaching and Learning Goals
With Bb Collaborate Ultra, you can share PowerPoint, PDF files and images along with your voice, share your screen or a specific application on your computer, poll students or use Whiteboard to gauge their understanding, interact with them by audio or chat, break out into groups for collaboration, and more. You may figure out how each of the features works easily by trying it out from the intuitive user interface. You can always go to Bb Collaborate Moderate Sessions page to learn more details.
Obtaining Session Attendance Report
After your session is completed, follow the steps in the tutorial to access, view and download the attendance report. The complete attendance report may appear a few hours after the session is completed.
Accessing Session Recordings
- On the "Blackboard Collaborate Ultra" page, click the 3-line (e.g. hamburger) icon on the top left.
- Select Recordings.
- You will see the links to the recent recordings. Click the link to the recording you want to watch to play.
- If you want to watch a recording older than those listed in the "Recent Recordings," click the Dropdown box on the right and select "Recordings in a range." Pick a date range, the recordings in this date range will be listed.