Hot dog poll and activity
Department of Mathematics
York College (CUNY)
Jamaica, New York 11451
1. Yesterday was July 4. How many hot dogs did you personally eat yesterday?
2. Estimate how many hot dogs you eat a year?
How might you model questions of the following type?
1. How many hot dogs were consumed in NYC on July 4, 2012?
2. How many hot dogs are consumed in the United States on a typical day?
3. What other products that we eat might make for interesting "lessons" for K-12 students? What mathematics can be tied to questions of this kind?