Martin Gardner's Books (11/10/2001)
Mathematics and Computing Department
York College (CUNY)
Jamaica, New York 11451-0001
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (for additions, suggestions, and corrections)
1. The Scientific American Book of Puzzles and Diversions (Hexaflexagons and Other Mathematical Diversions: The First 'Scientific American' Book of Puzzles and Games).
2. The Second Scientific American book of Mathematical Puzzles and Diversions.
3. New Mathematical Diversions.
4. The Numerology of Dr. Matrix.
5. The Unexpected Hanging.
6. The Sixth Book of Mathematical Games from Scientific American.
7. Mathematical Carnival.
8. Mathematical Magic Show.
9. Mathematical Circus.
10. Wheels, Life and other Mathematical Amusements.
11. Knotted Doughnuts.
12. Time Travel and other Mathematical Bewilderments.
13. Penrose Tiles to Trapdoor Ciphers.
14. Entertaining Mathematical Puzzles.
15. Mathematics Magic and Mystery.
16. The Last Recreations.
17. The Colossal Book of Mathematics.
18. The Colossal Book of Short Puzzles and Problems (ed. Dana Richards)
Other books by Martin Gardner:
The Magic Numbers of Dr. Matrix
The Incredible Dr. Matrix
Logic Machines and Diagrams
The Ambidextrous Universe
Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science
The Relativity Explosion
The Night is Large
Note 1: Many of these books consist of edited versions of articles Gardner wrote
for Scientific American Magazine for many years.
Note 2: Gardner's books have been published by a variety of publishers including W.
H. Freeman. Recently, the Mathematical Association of America has been republishing
new versions of some of the older books with corrections and some updating.
Note 3: I know this list is not complete.
Note 4: Admirers of Martin Gardner's work will also enjoy the book
"The Mathematical Gardner," D. Klarner, (ed.), Wadsworth, Belmont, 1981. This book has been recently reprinted by Dover Press.
You can find a tribute that I wrote to Martin Gardner on the American Mathematical Society Feature Column web page:
Tribute of Martin Gardner
Back to list of bibliographies