Don't English 125 and Writing 301, 302, or 303 count as Writing Intensive (WI) courses?

A list of commonly asked questions about writing requirements at York.

No. While English 125 and the Writing courses (301, 302, and 303) are writing courses, they are distinct from Writing Intensive (WI) courses at the College. They are skills-based courses designed to teach you the writing and research skills that will help you succeed in your Writing Intensive courses. Writing Intensive courses are content-based courses that also require writing.

While there are some exceptions, most students must complete three (3) Writing Intensive courses in addition to English 125 and Writing 301, 302, or 303. For more information on Writing Intensive courses, review other relevant FAQs or visit the WAC Terminology page.