What kind of help can I get at the Writing Center?
Your tutor will work with you on any of several aspects of writing:
- helping you understand an assignment
- generating ideas for your writing
- finding and documenting source material
- developing and organizing your ideas
- grammar and mechanics
Do I have to schedule my tutoring session in advance?
No. Tutors at the Writing Center will work with you on a walk-in basis. Walk-in sessions usually last 25 minutes.
What should I bring to a walk-in session?
For help with course assignments, bring the writing assignment, any work you have done so far, and relevant materials (e.g., your textbook, any readings for the paper, research sources, etc.) Tutors can also help you with graduate school application statements, and other forms of non-classroom writing.
Can I set up regular meetings to work on my writing?
Yes. We accept all students on a drop-in basis for 25 minute sessions, but you can also schedule a regular time each week to meet with a tutor to work on your writing. Scheduled sessions last for approximately 50 minutes. There a limited number of scheduled sessions available, and applications for scheduled tutoring are on a first come, first serve basis.
Come to the Writing Center if:
- You want help interpreting the assignments for your writing or Writing-Intensive Class.
- You want help coming up with ideas, and with organizing them effectively.
- You want help understanding how to use grammar and punctuation most effectively.
- You want help reading the texts for your class, and making the most of what they say in your own writing.
- Please note, the Writing Center does not offer a proof-reading service. When you come to work on your grammar, your tutor will help you develop strategies, but he/she will not do the work for you.
To make an appointment for tutoring, please go to https://yorkcollege.mywconline.com to register with a valid York College email address.