CUNY International Travel Guidelines - Faculty members
Why Should You Study Abroad?
Because it is the best and fastest way to improve your language skills;
Because you want to broaden your educational experience;
Because learning about other peoples will sharpen your cultural perspectives;
Because you will get to experience another part of the world;
Because you will fulfill a dream of communicating to more people;
Because you will be able to refer to your experience on your resume;
Because you will be able to study your favorite subject in another country;
Because your experience might inspire a new career path;
Because your experience will change your life for the better;
Because you want to become a productive and successful member of the global community;
Because you want to find your family origins.
How Do I Get Started?
Use the following link:
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Puerto Rico
- South Korea
- Trinidad & Tobago
If you click on your preferred country on the CUNY website, you will see all the important and detailed information about the University in contract with CUNY and the sponsoring campuses. For example, if you choose to go to the Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico, the sponsoring campus is Hostos Community College.
The information also covers the GPA required to be eligible for the opportunity, the deadlines, room and board and financial requirements and scholarships, such as STOCS.
What is STOCS?
STOCS stands for Study/Travel Opportunities for CUNY Students. Funded by the a grant from The New York Community Trust DeWitt Wallace/Youth Travel Enrichment Fund, the STOCS program aims to increase the number of CUNY students studying overseas by providing scholarships to deserving students. It has contributed toward the strengthening of existing short-term CUNY study abroad programs and the development of new ones.
STOCS scholarships ranging from $500 to $1650 are offered to undergraduate CUNY students who participate in short-term (summer and winter intersession) CUNY study abroad programs. Applications are reviewed by a committee of CUNY faculty and administrators, and grants are awarded on the basis of ability to benefit and financial need.
A complete application consists of the following materials:
- Completed STOCS application form <doc> and personal statement.
- Letter of recommendation from a CUNY faculty member (other than the director of your study abroad program) who is familiar with your academic work.
- Your official transcript sent to STOCS program administrator.
- 2013-14 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form on file at your college’s financial aid office by March 11, 2013. You can fill out the application through the U.S. Department of Education's FAFSA Web Site .
*** Applications missing any of the above information will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. ***
- Students must participate in STOCS-eligible CUNY study abroad program.
- Students must apply to a STOCS-eligible study abroad program before the STOCS application deadline.
- Students must be matriculated undergraduates at the time of studying abroad.
- Students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Students must be NYC residents.
- Students with a household income of more than $75,000 are not eligible (as stipulated by the New York Community Trust).
- Previous STOCS scholarship recipients are not eligible.