Continuing & Professional Education
Continuing and Professional Education
Continuing and Professional Education seeks to fulfill York College's commitment of access and excellence to higher education. The program is dedicated to enhancing economic growth and the quality of life for businesses and individuals by providing timely, cost-effective and highly-focused education and training, while serving the educational needs of both working and non-working adults who wish to pursue a variety of non-credit course offerings in a college setting.
Continuing and Professional Education offers men, women and young adults in the community the opportunity to broaden their horizons through literacy, intellectual study, vocational activities and self-enrichment. We operate a Learning Center, Lifelong Learning Program and the NYS Small Business Development Center (SBDC).
The Learning Center
As a vital part of the Southeast Queens community, The York College Learning Center is a comprehensive multi-service center whose doors are open to any individual or group wishing to realize personal change and independence or wishing to respond to the community's needs constructively through education training and counseling. It is dedicated to providing these services through a variety of New York City and State grant funded programs.
- The Literacy Initiative is funded by both the City and the State. This program is designed to provide adult basic education (ABE), high school equivalency (HSE) preparation, and English as-a-Second-Language (ESL) instruction.
- Students who enroll in the program may choose either a morning or evening schedule. In addition, students receive academic and career counseling, as well as case management and referral services.
- The English Language/Civics Education (EL-CIVICS) Program is funded exclusively by the NYS Department of Education. This program offers ESL instruction, integrated with civics education to non-English speaking immigrants. Classes are offered on weekdays, mornings, evenings and Saturdays.
Lifelong Learning Program
The York College Lifelong Learning program offers innovative and rigorous non-credit programs that integrate knowledge across disciplinary boundaries. The program combines theory with practice, leverages the expertise of our students and faculty and connects global constituencies. We believe all students have the ability to perform at high levels, and this begins with the dedication of exceptional instructors and diligent individuals. We have partnerships with local and national organizations who are industry leaders in their fields of expertise, such as the YMCA of Greater Jamaica, The Jamaica Center Arts and Learning (JCAL) Neighborhood Housing Services of Jamaica (NHSJ), Dental Auxiliary Training Center (DATC), Lovegevity Wedding Planning Institute, and many others. Together we are building a movement to transform lives.
- Allied Health - Certified Nursing Assistant, Pharmacy Technician, Dental Assistant, Clinical Medical Assistant, EKG Technician, Phlebotomy Technician, Dialysis Technician, Emergency Medical Technician, Certified Medical Administrative Assist, First-Aid/CPR, Medical Billing and Medical Coding certificate programs are available for pre-professional nursing and health/science students, nurses, EMS personnel and other allied health professionals.
- Paralegal Studies - In 2015, our very successful program, was redesigned and packaged with our training partner Center for Legal Studies. The new program has an increased number of contact hours, which are taught over a shorter period of time. Classes are taught onsite and online, and are appropriate for students seeking experience in the legal field in route to law school, or considering a career in paralegal studies. Our paralegal certificate provides the foundation in legal concepts and procedures that are paramount to a successful legal/paralegal career. Additionally, students have online access to the WESTLAW library.
- Professional Development - Our professional development courses provide comprehensive training in a variety of professional disciplines, such as computer applications, income tax preparer certification, certified wedding and event planning, cake decorating I and II, and handyman certification programs.
- Online Classes - Online learning offers continuous classroom access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Students can register for over 500 courses for professional and personal growth.
- Test Preparation - We offer test preparation for the HSE, Scholastic Aptitude Testing (SAT), Specialized High School Admissions Test, and Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS).
- Fitness and Fun - Make time for your creative side. If you are a budding artist, a musician waiting to be discovered or, a philosopher seeking discussion, then you have come to the right place. We will help you tap into your creativity and release your imagination. Choose from courses in iPhone photography, painting, guitar, interior design, line dancing, creative writing, kick-boxing, swimming, toned and tight (TNT) and more.
- Children's Academy - Some of Lifelong Learning Program's most popular programs are our Summer Getaway (day camp), NYS Math and ELA Test preparation, children's swim, dance and music and art classes. We also offer sibling discounts, as well as staff and faculty discounts for the summer camp.
Small Business Development Center
The Small Business Development Center, administered by the State University of New York, provides management and technical assistance to start-up and existing small business firms in New York State.
Through direct counseling, the York College SBDC provides a wide range of management and technical assistance services. A representative sample of these services includes:
- Business Plan Development
- Small Business Start-Up
- Existing Business Expansion
- Organizational Structures
- Financial Planning
- Export Assistance
- Cost Analysis
- Loan Information
- Training Programs