Continuing & Professional Education
Continuing and Professional Education seeks to fulfill York College’s commitment of access to and excellence in higher education. It serves the educational needs of both working and non-working adults who wish to pursue a variety of non-credit course offerings in a college setting.
ACE offers men, women and young adults in the community the opportunity to broaden their horizons through literacy, intellectual study, vocational activities, and self-enrichment. It operates a Community Learning Center, the Center for Lifetime Learning, and the NYS Small Business Development Center.
The Learning Center
The York College Learning Center, is dedicated to providing educational and support services through a variety of New York City and State and federal grant funded programs.
- The NYC Adult Literacy Initiative is funded by both the City and the State. This program is designed to provide adult basic education, high school equivalency preparation in English and Spanish and English as-a-Second-Language (ESL) instruction.
- Students who enroll in the NYCALI Program may choose either a morning or evening schedule. In addition, students receive academic and career counseling as well as referral services.
- The English Language/Civics Education Program is funded exclusively by the New York State Department of Education. The purpose of this funding is to offer ESL integrated with civics education instruction to non-English speaking immigrants. Citizenship preparation classes are also offered to students enrolled in the EL/CE program. Classes are offered on weekday mornings, evenings, and Saturdays.
- Funded by the U.S. Department of Education, The Educational Talent Search Program: offers counseling services, technical assistance and information workshops to the Southeast Queens community. Talent Search counselors assist high school and GED students to choose educational programs suited to their needs, answer questions students or parents have regarding college, assist in filling out school admission applications, file and secure financial aid, and secure college testing information and procedures.
- Additionally, information workshops are offered to students and their parents on financial aid, loans and scholarships, career decision-making and non-traditional educational programs. The Talent Search Programs also offer SAT preparation classes.
- The Education for Gainful Employment (EDGE) Program is funded by the New York State Department of Labor. It provides classroom instruction, career counseling, job preparation and job search workshops as well as job placement services to eligible Learning Center students.
Lifelong Learning offers innovative and rigorous noncredit programs that integrate knowledge across disciplinary boundaries, combine theory with practice, leverage the expertise of our students and faculty, and connect global constituencies.
- Allied Health – Certified Nursing Assistant, Dental Assistant, Clinical Medical Assistant, Phlebotomy Technician, Legal Nurse Consultant, and First-Aid/CPR certificate programs are available for pre-professional nursing and health/science students, nurses, EMS personnel and other allied health professionals.
- Paralegal Studies – Appropriate for students seeking experience in the legal field en route to law school or considering a career in paralegal studies, our paralegal certificates provide the foundation in legal concepts and procedures that are essential to a successful legal/paralegal career.
- Professional Development – Our professional development courses provide comprehensive training in a variety of professional disciplines, such as computer and technical, career development, food service, child care provider, and, home inspection, construction management, and handyman programs.
- Test Preparation – We offer test preparation for the NYS Teachers Certification Exam, GED, SAT, Specialized High School Admissions Test, Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS) and more.
- Fitness and Fun – Make time for your creative side. If you are a budding artist; a musician waiting to be discovered; or philosopher seeking discussion, then you have come to the right place. We will help you tap into your creativity and release your imagination. Choose from courses in photography, painting, Zumba, guitar, floral design, dance, creative writing, and more.
- Children’s Academy – Some of Lifelong Learning’s most popular programs are our Summer Getaway (day camp), NYS Math and ELA Test preparation, children’s swim, dance, and music classes. We also offer sibling discounts.
Small Business Development Center
The Small Business Development Center, administered by the State University of New York, provides management and technical assistance to start-up and existing small business firms in New York State. SBDC Services:
Through direct counseling, the York College SBDC provides a wide range of management and technical assistance services. A representative sample of these services includes:
- Business Plan Development
- Small Business Start-Up
- Existing Business Expansion
- Organizational Structures
- Financial Planning
- Export Assistance
- Cost Analysis
- Loan Information
- Training Programs