Reaffirmation: Statement of Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination
|To:||Faculty and Staff|
|From:||Marcia V. Keizs, President|
|Date:||September 20, 2013|
|Subject:||Reaffirmation: Statement of Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination|
York College is committed to Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action in its educational programs and personnel practices. The College follows the laws and mandates of the Federal Government as articulated by Executive Order #11246, and as amended by the Chancellor of The City University of New York on 12/9/76, to include Italian Americans. As President, I am personally committed to and will continue the emphasis on an Affirmative Action Program aimed at ensuring that women and members of minority groups, including Italian Americans, have full opportunity for employment and advancement.
York College fully supports the policies and practices that have been implemented to foster nondiscrimination, affirmative action, diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The College recruits, employs, retains and promotes employees without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, transgender orientation, disability, genetic predisposition or carrier status, alien status or citizenship, veteran or marital status. Further, these policies and practices also apply to student admissions, access to programs, and administration of educational policies. As President of the College, I am committed to engaging and involving the entire college community in understanding the Affirmative Action Program. Many of you serve on search committees, and your participation has been important in advancing our affirmative action efforts. I encourage each of you to review the annual Affirmative Action Plan, a copy of which is available in the York College Library, and participate in carrying out its goals. The City University and York College have implemented complaint procedures to ensure that any allegations of employment discrimination are fully and fairly evaluated. As members of the York College community, you should familiarize yourselves with the complaint procedures and use them as appropriate.
The persons listed below are responsible for implementing and monitoring the programs and assuring that the rules and regulations are promulgated and understood. The vice presidents, deans, directors, managers and supervisors share responsibility for ensuring our compliance with these policies and laws.
- Olga Dais, Esq. is the York College Executive Director of Compliance Programs and Legal Affairs (CPLA) and coordinator for policies involving discrimination of any kind. Her office is located in Room AC-2H05 and her telephone number is (718) 262-2140.
- Olga Dais, Esq. is the Coordinator of the Sexual Harassment Awareness and Intake Committee. Ms. Brunilda Almodovar, Prof. Lindamichelle Baron, and Prof. Farley Mawyer are Deputy Coordinators of this Committee which has the responsibility to receive, review, and investigate complaints of sexual harassment and educate all employees and students about sexual harassment. Ms. Dais' office is located in Room AC-2H05 and her telephone number is (718) 262-2140. Ms. Almodovar's office is located in Room AC-4DA1, and her telephone number is (718) 262-2347. Prof. Baron's office is located in AC-1D05, and her telephone number is (718) 262-2938. Prof. Mawyer's office is located in Room AC-2C07, and his telephone number is (718) 262-2939.
- Olga Dais, Esq. and Paola Veras, LMSW are the Coordinators for the York College 504/ADA Committee. This committee is responsible for supporting the office of CPLA in coordinating policies which fall under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, effective January 26, 1992, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-112), which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability. Ms. Dais' office is located in Room AC-2H05 and her telephone number is (718) 262-2140. Ms. Veras' is located in Room AC-1G02 and her telephone number is (718) 262- 2073.
- Olga Dais, Esq. and Dean Alfred Ntoko are the Chairs of the Faculty Diversity Committee. This committee is responsible for the design and implementation of the Faculty Diversity Strategic Plan. It will also advise the President on issues of diversity and report annually to the University Office of Recruitment and Diversity on the work of the committee and the progress made toward fostering diversity throughout the College. Ms. Dais' office is located in Room AC-2H05 and her telephone number is (718) 262-2140. Dean Ntoko's office is located in Room AC-2B06, and his telephone number is (718) 262-2517.
- Ms. Jessica Cherry is the Title IX Coordinator and Ms. Gail Marshall is the Deputy Coordinator. The Title IX Coordinators are responsible for investigating complaints of discrimination or denial of benefits based on sex in any educational program or activity. Olga Dais, Esq. has been appointed to hear any appeals involving Title IX complaints. Ms. Cherry's office is located in Room HP-212 and her telephone number is (718) 262-5115. Ms. Marshall's office is located in Room AC-2H05 and her telephone number is (718) 262-2141. Ms. Dais' office is located in Room AC-2H05 and her telephone number is (718) 262-2140.
York College has made significant progress in achieving a good measure of pluralism, which, without question, provides many positive benefits for all faculty, staff and students. York College will continue to support the spirit and goals of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action and require that administration, faculty, and staff be familiar with the regulations to assure compliance in their respective areas of responsibility. We invite you to visit the York College CPLA website at www.york.cuny.edu/cpla, for more detailed descriptions of the various policies (ex. Sexual Harassment: Procedures & Policy). The University provides a self-paced, comprehensive, interactive program on sexual harassment Jaw and CUNY policy on the CUNY website. All members of the CUNY community are encouraged to take this web course.
Implementing these policies and procedures to ensure and reaffirm our commitment to diversity on all levels is a shared responsibility. I encourage each of you to be active in familiarizing yourself with our mission and forthright in doing your part to advance it.