- Experts Contact
- For additional information contact Marcia Moxam-Comrie, Marketing Communications Office of Institutional Advancement, Rm 2H03 94-20 Guy R. Brewer Blvd. Jamaica, NY 11451 718-262-2354 (office)/ 718-262-2326 (fax) e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mokrue, KathariyaMokrue, Kathariya
- Areas of Expertise:
- • Feasibility and effectiveness of modified empirically-validated treatments and interventions for anxiety and depressive disorders for delivery in non-traditional settings
- • Employment of mobile technology to improve adherence of skills use in “Stress-less at York”, a mindfulness-informed cognitive behavioral skills group I developed to reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression
- • Understanding barriers and improving mental health service utilization among underserved/understudied groups
- • The role of mindfulness meditation in emotion regulation, impulse control and executive function.
Evidence-based interventions such as cognitive behavioral therapies and mindfulness-based stress reduction program have been demonstrated to be very effective in reducing common problems such as depression, anxiety, insomnia and disordered eating and improving quality of life for many. Interventions are brief, problem-focused, and very cost-effective compared to traditional psychotherapies or medication. Yet, many individuals (e.g. ethnic minorities, immigrants, elderly) do not seek or receive this quality care. My research focuses on modifying these interventions for use among underserved and overlooked populations, addressing barriers, and improving access to such care.
Degree Institution Field Dates PhD Rutgers University Clinical Psychology 2003 MS Rutgers University Clinical Psychology 2000 BA Hunter College-CUNY Psychology 1997