- Experts Contact
- For additional information contact Marcia Moxam-Comrie, Marketing Communications Office of Institutional Advancement, Rm 2H03 94-20 Guy R. Brewer Blvd. Jamaica, NY 11451 718-262-2354 (office)/ 718-262-2326 (fax) e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Profit, AdamProfit, Adam
- Areas of Expertise:
- Protein aggregation and amyloid formation
- Design and development of novel kinase inhibitors
- Peptide synthesis
Currently there are two main areas of investigation being pursued in my laboratory.
1) Amyloid Formation and Protein Aggregation. The abnormal formation of protein aggregates, or amyloid deposits, is the hallmark of Alzheimer’s disease as well as Type 2 diabetes. My laboratory is investigating the molecular interactions that occur between key proteins that contribute to the formation of amyloid in these diseases. Through a more detailed understanding of how these proteins self-assembly to form aggregates, we hope to design and develop inhibitors which may serve as a template for potential therapeutic agents.
2) Protein Kinase Inhibitors. We are developing compounds that inhibit the activity of key enzymes (kinases) which can cause tissues to grow out of control and develop into tumors. To do this we are synthesizing molecules that exploit the unique molecular recognition motifs found in these enzymes to more effectively deliver inhibitory species to the active site.
Degree Institution Field Dates PhD SUNY Stony Brook Chemistry 1997 BS Lehman College of CUNY Chemistry