Netscape Communicator version 4.5 -- 4.7 or above is required to run the lab checking programs in the following list. It can be downloaded from Netscape's web site. It is also installed on the computers in room 201 of the classroom building. Note: Microsoft Internet Explorer might have some problem in printing. Use Netscape or Firefox if it does not print in IE.
Click the experiment you want to check in the following list. Follow the instructions step by step as shown below:
- Input your name, section and unknown number in the proper fields.
- Fill all the data fields with your measured and calculated values. Leave the Computer Calculated Result field blank. The tab key can be used to go to the next field or the mouse can be used to go to any field by simply clicking inside the field.
- When all the data has been entered, click the Check button at the bottom of the page. The Computer Calculated Result field will be filled in with the correct result based on the entered data.
- Look at the information at the top of the data page next to the section field.
- If the message, "Checked, errors", appears some data entries must be corrected. An "sf" under a data field indicates that the data in that field does not have the correct number of significant figures. A "non-digit" indicates that the data has non-digit character or characters. A "calc" message indicates that the calculation for that data is incorrect. Make the required corrections and recheck the entries by again clicking Check. Assistance with proper data entry, significant figures, and calculations is available by clicking the Help link next to the experiment link.
- If the message, "Checked, no error" appears at the top of the data page next to the section field, the data and results are correct.
- Print out the completed and checked data sheet and turn it in to the instructor with the lab report.
- Click the Clear button to empty all the data fields and enter a new set of data.
If you still have problem with the lab checker after following the instructions carefully, please contact:
Dr. Wenying Huang-Stolte
- Experiment 2: Volume Measurements and the Determination of Density Help
- Experiment 2: Version II If you cannot print the above version completely, use this version. Help
- Experiment 5: Determination of the Percent by Weight of Lead Help
- Experiment 6: Determination of Molecular Weight by Gas Density Measurement Help
- Experiment 8: Spectra and Beer's Law Help
- Experiment 10: Determination of Molecular Weight by Freezing Point Depression Help
- Experiment 11 (See below) Help
- Experiment 12: Volumetric Determination of an Unknown Chloride Help
- Experiment 13: Acid-Base Titration I. Standardization of a NaOH Solution Help
- Experiment 16: Analysis of the Iron Salt for Oxalate: Titration with Permanganate Help
- Experiment 17: Analysis of the Iron Salt for Iron: Titration with EDTA Help
- Experiment 18 (See below) Help
- Experiment 19: Electrolysis: Determination of the Current Efficiency Help
- Experiment 20: Thermochemistry: Determination of the Heat of Neutralization Help
- Experiment 21: Chemical Kinetics: The Acid Catalyzed Hydrolysis of Sucrose Help
The following 2 lab checking programs only work in Netscape 6 or higher , since only Netscape 6 or higher supports the exponential notation which is used in lab 11 (chem101) and lab 18 (chem102).
Click the experiment you want to check in the following list. Follow the instructions step by step as shown above. To print click the Print button right next to the Help button at the bottom of the page. A small dialog box will appear. Click "Yes" to proceed. Then the normal print dialog box appears. Do not change anything in that box and click "OK" to print.