Study Skills needed for success in online or hybrid courses
- Download a copy of your course syllabus and read it carefully to make sure that you understand the course requirements, schedule and due dates. Check it frequently to make sure that you are on the right track and on schedule.
- Read the course instructions carefully. It will actually save your time as it will help you avoid making mistakes and help you study effectively.
- Log on to your course site at least once a day. Online discussion postings or collaborative activities can grow quickly. To take advantages of the online discussion and other course activities, you need to participate actively.
- Start early. Do not wait for the last day before deadline to work on the assignments.
- Create a study plan with time allocation and stick to it.
- Keep a backup of all your course work. Computers can have problems that cause data loss. You will have to redo everything when it happens if you do not have the backup.
- Manage and organize your files and email messages using folders. It will help you find your file(s) or email message(s) quickly later.
- Ask questions if you need clarification or help.
- Be considerate and polite when communicating with your peers and instructors.
Online or hybrid courses can provide a new, exciting and effective learning experience for you. They also provide great flexibility in terms of time and place of study. However, to be successful, you need to take charge and be responsible for your learninig, be self-motivated and disciplined, and be willing to make an effort to become an active knowledge builder and problem solver.