Ten Months Later – What about Haiti’s Homeless?
Nov 16, 2010
from 06:00 PM to 08:00 PM
|Contact Name||Mark Schuller|
|Add event to calendar||
- Prof. Jean François – Foreign Languages
- Ray Laforest - Haiti Liberté / WBAI / Pacifica / AFSCME
- Lionel Legros – WCKR / Haitian Fathers Network
- Prof. Mark Schuller
- Lisa Davis - MADRE / CUNY School of Law
- Lily Cerat - Haitian Women for Haitian Refugees
More than ten months since Haiti’s devastating earthquake that killed 300,000 and made 1.5 million homeless, the majority of people are living in substandard conditions that are violations of international human rights conventions. The cholera epidemic and the hurricanes and tropical storms that continue to batter the region expose the fragility of life under ripped tents, where many are without clean drinking water or adequate sanitation. Women are exposed to gender-based violence in ever-greater numbers. Come hear a range of on-the-ground efforts, activists, and research to find out what exactly is going on, and what can be done to help, while the U.S. Congress finishes its session and before the national elections scheduled in Haiti for November 28.