"Why Bring IT to My Games?" Donald Sterling and the NBA: What is the Proper Analysis?
May 08, 2014
from 04:00 PM to 05:30 PM
|Contact Name||Mychel Namphy|
Faculty, students and staff
|Add event to calendar||
A Panel Discussion with Students and Faculty
Dr. Michele Gregory, Associate Professor of Sociology, Director of the Program in Black Studies
Dr. George White, Associate Professor of History, Chair of Department of History
Satish Ram, York College Sociology Major, writer at Metsmerized.com
Noel Torres, York College English Major
Josh Carrington, York College English Major
Dr. Mychel J. Namphy, Assistant Professor of English, Director of African American Resource Center
Questions We Will Explore
- What is the best way to understand the Donald Sterling incident?
- What do we think of the way the players have responded?
- Were the NBA's response and the Commissioner's statement appropriate and effective?
- Does the response to Donald Sterling's comments represent a sea-change in the history of white supremacy in American sport?
- What does any of this have to do with the overall struggle of people of color for dignity and justice?
- What is being missed in the media coverage and popular analysis of the Sterling incident?
Free and open to the public!