Student Commencement Information
- The School of Health and Behavioral Sciences ceremony will begin at 9:00 AM.
Commencement Speaker: To be announced.
Students should be robed and assembled on the Academic Core building outside plaza by 7:30 AM.
The procession will begin promptly at 8:15 a.m.
- The School of Arts and Sciences ceremony will begin at 1:00 PM.
Commencement Speaker: To be announced.
Students should be robed and assembled by 12:00 PM.
The procession will begin promptly at 12:30 PM.
- The School of Business and Information Systems will begin at 5:00 PM.
Commencement Speaker: Mr. Robin Hayes, President of JetBlue Airways.
Students should be robed and assembled by 4:00 PM.
The procession will begin promptly at 4:30 PM.
Invitations and Seating
TICKETS ARE REQUIRED. Guests will be permitted to enter the Milton G. Bassin Performing Arts Center (by ticket only) for each specific School graduation ceremony. No guests will be permitted into the auditorium without a ticket.
The Milton G. Bassin Performing Arts Center (Main Stage Theater) auditorium has a maximum seating and occupancy capacity, subsequently; each School (depending on size) will be allocated tickets for distribution to graduates, based on the total number of graduates participating in the commencement ceremonies.
- School of Health & Behavioral Sciences: Students will receive two invitations and two tickets.
- School of Arts & Sciences: Students will receive four invitations and four tickets.
- School of Business & Information Systems: Students will receive four invitations and four tickets.
Invitation and Ticket Pick-Up Location: May 6 & 7, 12:00 PM – 7:00 PM, Atrium
Students may pick up invitations and tickets on May 6 & 7 in the in the York College Atrium during Senior Days (Senior Salute). Students must present a valid student identification to receive both invitations and tickets.
Cap And Gown Distribution (York College Book Store)
Caps and gowns can be purchased at the York College Book Store starting Monday, April 28, 2014.
Please make sure that your academic attire includes a robe, a hood (a collar that hangs down your back from around your neck), a cap and a tassel. The cost for your cap, gown, tassel and hood is $65 for a Bachelor Unit and $75 for a Masters Unit. Payment is to be by cash or money order only made payable to: York College Auxiliary
No Checks or Credit Cards Will Be Accepted.
Conferring Of Degrees
At the appointed time graduates will be asked to walk across the platform to be greeted by the President. A photograph will be taken of each graduate as he/she stands with the President. After all graduates have returned to their seats, the President will confer the degrees and tassels may be moved from the right to the left side of the cap.
Upon arrival in the robing area, each graduate will be asked to complete (please print clearly) a form, which will serve a dual purpose. First, it will be presented to the reader when reaching the platform so that names may be announced when called to the platform. Second, it will be used by the photographers as notification regarding the purchase of your individual picture with the President. Your photo proofs may be obtained either electronically or by mail. There will be no charge for the proofs, and you will be under no obligation to make a purchase. Since photographs will be taken of all graduates as they walk across the platform, we ask that all other photos be taken either before or after the ceremony.
Parking will be available in the College’s two parking lots on Guy R. Brewer Blvd. Street parking on Liberty Avenue and other surrounding areas may also be available.
- It is recommended that graduates wear flat or low heel shoes.
- Please do not leave personal items of any kind in the robing area.
- The cap, gown, hood, and tassel belong to you and do not need to be returned to the College.
- The ceremony will be held rain or shine. If it rains, students and faculty will be provided with a water proof poncho.
Watch It Live!
You can see the Commencement Ceremony live at: http://www.york.cuny.edu
on the day of Commencement, Friday, May 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM, 1:00 PM, and 5 PM.