The Mission of YECA
The York Early College Academy (YECA)
The YECA experience offers a challenging program which provides the academic and social supports that are needed to graduate high school having earned as many as sixty college credits towards a baccalaureate degree.
The school’s mission is an ambitious statement of high expectations for student achievement and post-secondary education. Students enter in the 6th grade with a variety of academic performance levels through ongoing assessments, instruction is modified and student programs are structured to allow them to:
- Strengthen their basic math and reading skills
- Demonstrate the requisite skills for independent and critical thinking, problem solving, articulation, organization, and presentation
- Master the state mandated learning standards
- Acquire the core abilities to apply the necessary combination of skills and knowledge required for the lifelong pursuit of ongoing academic, occupational, and personal growth
- Acknowledge, respect and embrace human diversity
- Become empowered through self-knowledge, self-esteem, self-motivation, and self-discipline, while growing the capacities to overcome adversity, accept boundaries, and maintain high standards of personal integrity, and
- Develop a positive predisposition toward academic achievement.
The aim of any school is to graduate responsible and productive citizens with strong critical thinking and academic skills by providing a rigorous, dynamic, comprehensive curriculum delivered in partnership with the community, family and a competent, qualified staff in a safe and caring environment.