The VITA Program
The York College Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program will launch the income tax preparation season in late January 2014, continuing through April 11, 2014. No appointments are necessary and the services,which include e-filing and direct deposit - are provided free of charge in the 4G wing. All tax preparers are trained in tax law and are certified by the IRS. This is 100% volunteer work as mandated by the IRS, so payment is neither required nor permitted.
For whom do we do tax returns?
- Individuals with Forms W2, 1099MISC, 1099R, SSA, SSI, 1099G, 1099INT
- Students and Scholars on F1, F2, J1 or J2 visas.
- Self-employed taxpayers (All expense items must be properly documented.)
We DO NOT prepare tax returns for individuals with:
- Investment income or loss.
- Income from rental property.
- Self-employed taxpayers with business expenses above $5,000, or losses.
Free Tax Prep Service For the College Community:
Do I need to make an appointment?
Only the following individuals need to make an appointment:
- Self-employed or independent contractors (1099MISC, Schedule C-EZ, transactions in cash).
- International students - please bring your passport.
What documents should I bring?
You will need to bring a picture Identification Card (ID); SSN Card (for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents) (or ITIN, if appropriate), voided check (if direct deposit is desired); all income statements - W2, 1099INT, 1099INT, SSI, SSA, 1099G; all other expense statements - tuition statements, mortgage interest statements, student loan interest, child care expenses, etc.
Please also check our Frequently Asked Questions page.