Personal Statement/Essay and Resumes
Personal Statement / Essay:
- First Think About Yourself:
- Details of your life help the committee better understand you or help set you apart from other applicants.
- Mention how you have overcome any unusual obstacles or hardships.
- Write about personal characteristics: For example, integrity, compassion, persistence.
- Do not forget to illustrate your skills: For example, leadership, communicative, analytical.
As described, this statement should include the following:
- Reasons you selected York College.
- Reasons you feel that you should receive the scholarship.
- Benefits you have received from any community service experience you have had.
- Contributions you feel you can make or are already making as a York College student.
- Find an Angle and Talk About Real Experiences
- Concentrate on Your Opening Paragraph
- Develop the Ideas and Stay Focused
- Type and proofread your statement very carefully
- Avoid Clichés
- Use Attention Grabbers
- Step-by-step instructions on how to write your Personal Statement/Essay
- Sample of a Personal Statement/Essay
Need help to proof read your state/Essay before you submit. York College Writing Center, Room AC-1C18