Federal Work Study
Federal Work Study (FWS)
If you are awarded FWS, you must work in an eligible work-study job, either on-campus or off-campus, in order to receive the money. Placement assistance for work-study jobs can be found at Student Financial Services. You must have a FAFSA on file and demonstrate financial need in order to be eligible for FWS.
All awarded Federal Work Study students must follow these criteria:
- Have an FWS Award
- Registered for at least 6 credits
- Must be a U.S. citizen, permanenet resident, refugee, or asylee
- Must work at an FWS approved on-campus or off-campus worksite
- Work no more than 20 hours per week.
|Grade Level||Pay Rate|
|Freshman||$10.00 per hour|
|Sophomore||$10.00 per hour|
|Junior||$10.50 per hour|
|Senior||$10.50 per hour|
Off campus positions vary $8.25 - $10 per hour.
- You must accept your FWS award on CUNYfirst
- Attend one (1) FWS Orientation session.
- Registered for at least 6 credits in the Fall 14' semester.
FALL 2014 Orientation
|Tuesday||August 19||9:00 AM||2D01|
|Thursday||August 21||4:00 PM||2D01|
|Wednesday||August 27||9:00 AM & 4:00 PM||2D01|
|Monday||September 8||4:00 PM||2D01|
|Friday||September 12||9:00 AM||2D01|
|Saturday||September 13||2:00 PM||2D01|
* You must attend only one (1) session.
If you attend a Summer Orientation, you do not need to attend another session (Fall or Spring) till next Summer 2015.
Please arrive 15 mins early. You will not be allowed in any session if you arrive 10 minutes after the Hour.
Each Session is expected to last 2 hours.
What to do after Orientation
- Write down the contact information of the jobs you are interested in.
- Call and arrange an interview.
- Take your contract to the interview. If hired, get two (2) signatures for the contract.
- Return the signed contract AND I-9 form with IDs (original & copy) during the Drop Off times.
- Wait for your supervisor to call you to start working.
- If you cannot find a job, see Ms. Morrison in room 1M08.
Off Campus Job Information
All interested students must be approved by FWS Coordinator, Ms. Cheryl Morisson in order to work off-campus. Student must be advised that payment schedules are managed by Public Service Corp and should consult their supervisor.
If you missed the Summer 14 and Fall 14 FWS orientation sessions you cannot work in the Spring 15 and must attend a session in Spring,
Look for the Spring 15 dates and plan accordingly.
Sorry no exceptions to the Federal Rules.
It is important that our students' employment experience is educationally enhancing. We ask that all supervisors keep the following in mind:
- Students will contact you to schedule an interview.
- Student will have a contract (with only FWS award money filled in) along with other papers you are required to sign. If you want the student to work in your area, please sign the contract and give all documents to the student to hand in on the drop off dates. If the student is registered for 6 or more credits and is awarded money for FWS, I will have the contract returned (and completely filled in) with timesheets. You will also receive an email stating that you can contact the student and have them start working.
- Timesheets not submitted on the due date will be paid the following cycle for payment. Please see the FWS Payroll Calendar for deadlines. All cross outs or corrections, needs your initials. Only contract signers are authorized to sign timecards for employees. All these actions WILL DELAY students receiving their check.
Wages & Time Calculation
Supervisors are responsible for keeping track of FWS student employee's remaining time and funds. A sample FWS Timesheet Calculator has been created to assist supervisors tracking students time. Upon entering student information, the timesheet calculator will automatically calculate the students remaining work study hours and wages for the year. Supervisors are encouraged to use this calculation worksheet.