Student Development 120
Examination of job search techniques, resume writing, the job interview, and alternative routes to enhance work performance and satisfaction for the 21st century.
SD 120 - Course Description - CAREER EXPLORATION
Intensive career exploration from theoretical, practical and personal perspectives; an examination of modes of career exploration and of alternate routes to the world of work; job search techniques; resume writing; the job interview. This course provides a developmental approach to career exploration utilizing assessment resources to develop a greater understanding of interests, skills and values. Examination of job search techniques, resume writing, the job interview, and alternative routes to enhance work performance and satisfaction for the 21st century.
Purpose and Goals
The goal of this course is to help you develop the skills needed to choose a career that matches your personality and interests. You will learn the steps involved in career decision making, where your values lie, both work and personal, and what you need to do in order to be successful in your chosen career. You will also learn resume writing and job interviewing skills. It is my hope that you will get to know yourself better, your peers, your dreams and desires. To accomplish these goals, you will need to attend all classes and participation in class is mandatory.
· Self exploration of life and work values, interests, skills and abilities
· Identify steps involved in career decision making and career planning
· Learn about the job search: resume writing; job search techniques; the job interview
· Understanding the relationship between career-related personality types and occupational environments.
· Explore contemporary job development and workplace issues.