Teacher Explorers Program
The Mathematics and Science Teacher Scholars Program at York College includes a summer Teacher Exploration Program. During this program, Teacher Explorers intern in the Science, Engineering, Mathematics and Aerospace Academy (SEMAA) at York College. SEMAA provides week-long, hands-on learning experiences designed by NASA for elementary and middle school students. Undergraduates who will be majoring in biology, chemistry, geology, or mathematics can apply to be in the Teacher Exploration Program at the end of their freshman year (24-36 credits).
- $450 stipend per week for up to 3 weeks
- mentoring from master teacher
- access to high quality curriculum materials
- advising from Teacher Education faculty
- membership in a cohort of Teacher Explorers
- minimum 3.00 GPA
- 200 word essay describing a learning experience that made you excited about science or mathematics
- a letter of recommendation attesting to your ability to work as an intern in a SEMAA classroom
- US citizenship of permanent residency
Orientation will be in the afternoon of June 29.
SEMAA runs July 1-29 for 1 week at a time.
To apply to the Teacher Exploration Program, email firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your interest. Mail your essay, letter of recommendation, and transcript with your grades including spring 2010 by June 1, 2011 to:
Dr. Leslie Keiler
Department of Teacher Education
94-20 Guy R Brewer Blvd
Jamaica, NY 11451