PA Academic Standards and Progression Requirements
Good Academic Standing – effective 2011
To remain in good academic standing, a student must achieve the following:
- Maintain a PA Program grade point average (CUM GPA) of at least 2.50 (Refer to the York College Bulletin for an explanation of how to calculate grade-point average).
- Achieve a minimum grade of “C-” (70.0) in all PA Program courses.
- Achieve a minimum CUM GPA of 2.50 at the conclusion of the didactic phase in order to progress to the clinical year.
- Achieve a passing grade of “C-” (70.0) or better on each clinical rotation.
- Maintain acceptable professional conduct
Progression to the Clinical Year:
Students must successfully complete all didactic phase courses, achieve a passing grade on the didactic summative examination and achieve a minimum cumulative didactic phase GPA of 2.50 in order to progress to the Clinical Year.
Maintenance of Good Academic Standing during the Clinical Year:
- Students must maintain a minimum semester grade point average (SGPA) of 2.50 or above each semester.
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA (Cum GPA) of 2.50 or above.
- Students must receive a grade of “C-” (70.0) or above in all clinical rotations.
- Students must pass all summative examinations including the Written Comprehensive in 2 attempts and the Objective Simulated Clinical Exam (OSCE) in 2 attempts.
- Students must fully comply with all the “Standards of Conduct” and “Responsibilities of the Students” as per the Clinical Student Handbook.
- Students must receive satisfactory reports and evaluations from all clinical preceptors.
Graduation Requirements for the PA Program:
To graduate students must:
- Successfully complete all required courses, rotations, and seminars.
- Demonstrate professional behavior.
- Pass all components of Summary Testing.
- Maintain at least a 2.50 cumulative grade point average.
- Complete the Application for Graduation according to the York College Bulletin.
- Meet all financial obligations to the College.
- Comply with all procedures, and meet all requirements, of the College as defined in the PA Student Handbook and the York College Bulletin.
NOTE: Students in the Physician Assistant Program must comply with all York College academic standing and probation policies delineated in the York College Student Handbook and College Bulletin. The above progression criteria are in addition to, and do not substitute for, or negate, any general College policies.