- The Role of the Instructor in Group Work: More Heads are Better than One
This workshop will explore techniques for implementing effective group learning in the classroom and demystify this important teaching tool by offering concrete methods for achieving productive group work. Facilitated by WAC Writing Fellow Janice Capuana and other WAC Writing Fellows. Sponsored by The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
- Stop the Whining! Effective Grading Practices that Increase Clarity and Decrease Aggravation for Everyone
Faculty will share practices that increase the clarity of their syllabi and grading practices that accurately document student learning - all of which lead to decreased stress and strife for students and faculty. Facilitated by Professors Gila Acker, Social Sciences, Lidia Gonzalez, Mathematics and Computer Science, and Shawn Williams, Health Professions. Co-sponsored by The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning and The Outcomes Assessment Committee.
- CETL: Addressing Homophobia and Homo-Negativity in the Classroom
Addressing Homophobia and Homo-Negativity in the Classroom
- NSSS: Student practice talks for upcoming conferences
The Natural Science Seminar Series is pleased to York College student (TBA) practice talks for several upcoming conferences.
- Designing Writing Support for Your Course: How to Help the Writing Center Help Your Students
A workshop facilitated by York Writing Across the Curriculum Fellows
- Call for Proposals: York College Symposium on Teaching and Learning with Technology 2014
As more and more instructors integrate technology into their classrooms, a wealth of knowledge is being generated about innovative ways to use technology to improve learning. A symposium will provide a platform to share these ideas and experiences and to contribute to the growing body of work on how to design and develop teaching and learning facilitated by technology in the classroom, be it face-to-face, online or hybrid.
- Using Technology to Support Writing Pedagogy and Students' Writing
Workshop facilitated by York Writing Across the Curriculum Writing Fellows. Co-sponsored by the Writing Across the Curriculum Program and the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
- Developing Expertise: A Look across Helping Professions
Panel presented by Dana Fusco, Teacher Education, Beverly Horowitz, Occupational Therapy, Lilly Matthew, Nursing, Claudette McFarquhar, Nursing, and Vadim Moldovan, Social Work. Sponsored by the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
- Understanding the Politics and Context of Predatory Journals
Presentation by Monica Berger, Associate Professor & Electronic Resources Librarian, CUNY City Tech.
Co-sponsored by the York College Library & the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL).
- Spring 2014 Faculty Learning Community Invitation
CETL invites full-time faculty members to participate in a faculty learning community (FLC) which will meet 6-7 times during the spring 2014 semester to discuss learning-centered teaching.